It’s a tradition to watch family oriented films with both entertainment and an underlying message during this time of the year. A holiday film should have the right mix of surprise, fun and joy. Here are some Hollywood / Bollywood / Tollywood films you can enjoy this holiday season with your family.
- Home Alone (1990) — Undoubtedly one of the best holiday family films of all time. This is one that everyone will enjoy!
- Elf (2003) — Both funny and touching, this is a favorite for many families during the Holidays. It stars Will Ferrel.
- A Christmas Carol (2009) — An animated version of the classic Christmas film.
- Scrooged (1988) — A modern take on A Christmas Carol starring Bill Murray.
- A Christmas Story (1983) — Another Christmas classic you’ll probably come across on American TV this season.
- Dr. Seuss’ How The Grinch Stole Christmas — There is an animated 2000 version but the colored 1966 original is probably better.
- Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge — You probably guessed this one. Minus a few scenes, DDLJ is as homely as Bollywood gets. Coincidentally, Yash Raj recently celebrated the film’s 1000th running week in cinemas. All the more reason to watch the classic again this holiday season.
- Kuch Kuch Hota Hai — Another classic about family and love starring our favorite on-screen couple, this is a film that the whole family can enjoy.
- Main Hoon Na — This is a great fun film with fantastic comedy, touching story, great songs and action. Perfect for this time of year! Alternatively, go for Farah’s Om Shanti Om.
- Dhoom 2 and/or Dhoom 3 — If you like some action in your holiday film, then get ready to watch the grand third Dhoom film with your friends and family. The second one starring Aish and Hrithik was also fun.
- Teen Thay Bhai — This may seem like an unlikely recommendation, but it’s always nice to laugh extra during the holidays and this film has some of the best situational comedy. Alternatively, go for the classics Andaaz Apna Apna or Hera Pheri.
- Dabanng — Great action entertainer – masala everything – for the whole family and especially for Salman fans. Violence not suitable for children though.
- Jab We Met — Another favorite that just never gets old. Enjoy the music and enigmatic performance of Kareena Kapoor and lively dances of Shahid. An alternative for Kareena fans is Gori Tere Pyaar Mein.
- Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na — I love this film for its funny, easy-going modern script. It’s perfect for students who just want to chill during the holidays with a film.
- Nuvvostanante Nenoddantana — Funny romantic film that teaches us that love is about effort and sacrifice. Suitable classic for the whole family! Alternative cute films for students and family are Bommarillu and Ready.
- Race Gurram — If you want action, entertainment and brilliant Brahmanandan comedy this holiday, you’ve got to add this film to your list. Perfect for get-togethers with friends. Songs may not be suitable for children. An alternative is Julayi.
- Attharintiki Daaredi — Fantastic film about family with a powerful performance from Pawan Kalyan. The music is also a winner. No one will be bored while seeing this film. An alternative is Gabbar Sing — Telugu version of Dabanng.
- Eega — This is the perfect option for kids and adults who get bored easily! The animation is great for kids but the story and action are also entertaining for adults.
- Arya and Arya 2 — Great entertainers from Bunny — funny and romantic at the same time. These are the best options for those who like romantic comedies during the holidays. Another option is Allu Arjun’s Happy, also very funny and entertaining.
- Chandramukhi — Must see classic for those who like a little scare during the holidays! An alternative is the Telugu sequel remake with Venkatesh — Nagavalli.
- King — This is an entertaining action entertainer starring Nagarjuna. You will love the twist in the second half. Good film for the whole family.
- Aadavari Matalaku Ardhale Verule — Humorous and entertaining family film from Venky.
I wish all of you health, happiness, prosperity and peace, together with your loved ones in the new year.
May this be a season of miracles that washes away all our worries and troubles!
And may 2015 be a year of brilliant films!